Program Officer, Health Commercialization
VentureWell is growing and is seeking a Program Officer who is interested in working with emerging programmatic opportunities in the healthcare field, with a focus on the development of new breakthrough capabilities, technologies, systems, and platforms to accelerate innovation in health and medicine. We value staff members who are curious, committed to environmental sustainability, and have experience (either through work or personal life) working with marginalized groups affected by racism, sexism, or classism.
VentureWell serves as the Consortium Management Firm for the ARPA-H Investor Catalyst Hub, a groundbreaking health innovation network. The Investor Catalyst Hub scales health research and venture investment ecosystem capabilities, disrupt traditional care models, create new delivery pathways, and help performers bring game-changing solutions to market to solve big problems in health. Specifically, our role in this new collaboration will include (1) helping to grow a network of biotech-related commercialization partners, (2) working with staff and program managers to create, design and implement new projects and ideas and (3) working to successfully execute the projects as designed.
VentureWell has an exciting opportunity to hire a new Program Officer to join our ARPA-H Program team. The ideal candidate has experience and/or training in healthcare commercialization and medical technologies or related fields, with exceptional project and program management skills and thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
The Program Officer will be based out of our Cambridge office.
- Act independently as program liaison with the partner organizations in the ARPA-H program; tactfully deliver timely information between partner organizations and staff; represent organization and program interests during meetings, events, and conversations with partners, consultants, and vendors.
- Translate high-level proposals and awards into tangible and practical work plans.
- Manage activities, contracts, and sub-contracts to ensure compliance with award deliverables, rules, and obligations.
- Support new award opportunities and develop new programming for VentureWell and contribute leadership to health commercialization strategy development, working closely with the Growth Strategy and Development Team and Program staff.
- Leverage healthcare commercialization or medical technology domain experience to coordinate and implement new and existing program offerings with guidance from manager, including continually learning from evaluation findings to recommend program improvements and implementing process improvements while systems are “in motion”
- Work within defined program direction with funders and partners for successful program implementation, including creative problem-solving and “customer service” approach to deliver on funder and partner needs within time and budget constraints
- Prepare and synthesize written material for proposals and reports to funder
- Design, plan, and facilitate effective meetings
- Play a leadership role in the fundraising, branding, promotion, and marketing of programs as well as the reporting of program outcomes. Prepare and synthesize written material for proposals and reports to funders.
- Work closely with the Learning and Evaluation team to ensure relevant assessment metrics are used for evaluating programs and documenting learning, knowledge, and impact.
- Source and manage professional services consultants and vendors assigned to the program and provide leadership to cross-organizational colleagues partnering on programs.
- Work closely with colleagues in Contracts and Finance to support external contracts relevant to the work
- Actively participate in internal collaboration and communication to ensure program success through use of project management tools and practices
- Work towards actively advancing equity in the scope of individual performance goals, and broader contributions to VentureWell’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Act as a problem solver, identifying internal inefficiencies and pain points and communicate them to relevant partner teams; partner with relevant teams on problem solving; operationalizing system improvements on a proactive and reactive basis
- Serve as a liaison between multiple VentureWell departments, modeling the Core Values while navigating fast-paced work in the midst of multiple, vying priorities
- Ensure logistics required for successful program implementation are planned and executed in a manner that delivers excellence
What You Bring:
- BS/BA required
- Minimum 3 years related experience including project management or program administration, with domain experience in fields related to VentureWell program areas, specifically with training or experience in healthcare commercialization, medtech, or related fields
- Prior experience supporting innovative health technologies from the lab to the market and working with a number of different partners and institutions (research, academic, industry, regulatory, etc.) as part of a network/consortium strongly preferred to set this position up for success
- Demonstrated history of success using project management skills, including ability to meet deadlines and coordinate multiple tasks with a wide range of stakeholders
- Highly adaptable and comfortable working with a degree of ambiguity
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively across multiple content areas and stakeholder groups, both internally and externally
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with an ability to articulate and synthesize information in a compelling, organized manner
- Ability to extract key information and data to recommend solutions
- Ability to understand and apply appropriate tools and technologies used in the workplace; ease with adapting new technologies as needed
- High degree of digital fluency using cloud-based office tools such as GSuite, CRMs, team collaboration tools, and other web-based applications; ability to incorporate these tools into day to day work
Across the Board, VentureWell Staff:
- Are able to succeed and thrive in an environment with competing and changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Have track records of and ability to build solid collaborative working relationships, and are proven team players who enjoy a “customer service” orientation to collaboration
- Are committed to embedding equity in our internal practices and culture and in our programs in order to live and achieve our mission
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity
- Are curious and committed to issues of environmental sustainability
- Are self-starters with excellent attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Are active learners who independently learn new tools and work processes quickly
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including:
- a salary range of $70-$80k commensurate with experience and internal equity
- 403 (b) with 200% match up to a maximum contribution from VentureWell of 10% when the employee puts it 5% (eligible after one year of service for the match)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- $1,000 home office stipend upon hire
- A true focus on work-life balance with work weeks that reflect that
- It’s our aim for our employees in this position to not work more than a 40-hour workweek
- 20 paid vacation days PLUS the week off between Christmas and New Years
- 12 paid wellness days
What We Offer:
- A culture where people work intentionally and collaboratively in pursuit of our mission
- Values we believe in
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion