Principal R&D Engineer
Principal R&D Engineer
Working Location: Massachusetts, Boston
Are you looking for a company that cares about people’s lives and health, including yours? At Olympus, we help make people’s lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling, every day. Let’s inspire healthier lives, together
The Principal Engineer with a focus on Research and Technology Development programs is responsible for leading all aspects of research and technology development programs including technical planning, concept development, test method development, feasibility studies, and establishing with statistical evidence proof of concept feasibility. The primary responsibilities of the position includes collaborating cross-functionally to define early user and product requirements with marketing, product development, and other functions, gathering inputs from clinical advisors and physicians, and developing a thorough understanding of targeted disease states, to enable early stage concept advancement. Further, this role will collaborate with our project management and product development teams to establish design inputs and minimum performance criteria as concepts evolve and ready for transition to product development. To ensure adequate and thorough evaluation of concepts and technologies, this role will oversee the development and validation of test methods and protocols suitable for verification testing applying statistical techniques as appropriate. Other activities include evaluating technology concept alternatives with consideration for cost, technical risk, reliability and User Needs, and writing patent applications in collaboration with patent agents. He or she must fully understand medical device design control requirements, be able to effectively manage concurrent research and technology development projects, and work effectively in a cross functional team. They may serve as a core or extended team member on research, technology or product development projects. Organized, collaborative, and able to effectively coordinate the activities of multiple support staff including interns, coop students, fellows, technicians, and other engineers. They maintain detailed documentation throughout all phases of research, technology, and product development. They may provide leadership and direction to Engineering Technicians and mentor less experienced engineers within and across OSTA sites in best practices for the use of engineering tools and methods.
- Provides technical leadership on product and technology development projects.
- Prepares and delivers research and technology presentations and demonstrations to internal and external audiences.
- Accountable for all aspects of research and technology development such as; requirements creation/documentation, ideation / prototyping, design / development, technical risk mitigation, concept feasibility testing and reports, supports risk management documentation, design reviews, and statistical evaluations.
- Develops engineering solutions, investigates competing technologies, and collaborates with Olympus Patent Attorneys to secure a strong IP portfolio.
- Ensures research and technology concepts are cost effective, manufacturable, and are tested through well thought out test plans to ensure they can effectively be used in product development efforts
- Consults with the Sales, Marketing, clinicians, and others to understand disease states, identify needs, and identify technology options to address them.
- Manages, directs and supports suppliers and partners involved in research and technology development. This includes outside design and/or development partners.
- Helps prepare and acts as a consultant to marketing on technical brochures, training programs, and technical presentations to customers, field service, and the sales force.
- Develops product and technology testing requirements, testing protocols and reports, and ensures they meet all established requirements using statistical evidence.
- Acts as a consultant to other departments including Sales and Marketing.
- Responsible for planning, scheduling, and executing all assigned projects.
- All Other Essential Duties as directed
- Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical, Electrical Engineering or similar is required, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum years of related experience: Minimum of 9 years with a Bachelor's; minimum of 8 years with a Masters; or a minimum of 5 with PhD.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows environment, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Simulation/CAD/CAM software.
- Ability and experienced in approaching and solving challenging and/or ambiguous engineering problems with scientific logic and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly and concisely is required.
- Experience applying good judgement to make timely decisions as well as exhibit the ability to balance risk vs. benefits in a variety of situations.
- Experience in the practical application of statistics and working knowledge of a statistical analysis package (Minitab).
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with others, work well within cross-functional teams and across multiple sites, as applicable.
- Must be capable of effectively directing project teams on multiple work streams in parallel and leading teams towards timely accomplishment of objectives.
- Must be able to communicate technical information effectively at all levels including with healthcare providers, both verbally and in writing. Strong presentation skills and the ability influence.
- Must be able to work in a professional open-space environment without distracting others.
- Must have a positive attitude and capable of motivating teams / team members to accomplish efforts in a timely manner and with high quality.
- Must be a hand’s-on technical leader who will develop and perform testing of prototypes as needed.
- Experience writing code to control lab instrumentation preferred.
- Experience working with machine learning algorithms preferred.
We realize work isn’t just a job to you. It’s a big part of your life, but not the only part. That’s why we offer competitive salaries, a robust 401(k) program, annual bonus program and comprehensive medical benefits, as well as tuition reimbursement, flexible schedules, parental and adoption leave, on-site services and Colleague Affinity Networks — so you can be ready for where life can take you.
Olympus is passionate about the solutions it creates for the medical, life sciences, and industrial equipment industries, as well as cameras and audio products. For more than 100 years, Olympus has focused on making people’s lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling by helping detect, prevent, and treat disease, furthering scientific research, ensuring public safety, and capturing images of the world.
Olympus’ Medical business uses innovative capabilities in medical technology, therapeutic intervention, and precision manufacturing to help healthcare professionals deliver diagnostic, therapeutic, and minimally invasive procedures to improve clinical outcomes, reduce overall costs, and enhance the quality of life for patients. Olympus’ Medical portfolio includes endoscopes, laparoscopes, and video imaging systems, as well as surgical energy devices, system integration solutions, medical services, and a wide range of endotherapy instruments for endoscopic and therapeutic applications. For more information, visit www.olympus-global.com.
Olympus…True To You. True To Society. True To LIFE.
It is the policy of Olympus to extend equal employment and advancement opportunity to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, national origin (including language use restrictions), citizenship status, religious creed (including dress and grooming practices), age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth and/or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental) and/or a medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, veteran status or service in the uniformed services, and any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.