Principal Electrical Engineer
Principal Electrical Engineer
The Principal Electrical Engineer (Engineer, Principal) at Canon USA Healthcare Optics Research Lab will be responsible for leading the electrical engineering team for design, implementation and verification of next generation clinical imaging and robotics systems in collaboration with world’s leading medical institutions. The Engineer will be involved in a breadth of electrical design: power conversion/distribution, micro-controllers, computer interfaces, user-interfaces, electro-mechanical drivers and electro-optical circuits. The Engineer will work on board designs, as well as custom circuit designs. As a principal engineer, this person will provide guidance and technical oversight for a small team of electrical engineers. We are seeking a highly motivated, execution-focused leader with the ability to define electrical architectures and tasks necessary for a successful product commercialization.
- Lead the definition of electrical systems architectures, technical solutions, and detailed designs for novel medical imaging products consisting of software and hardware
- Ensure electrical design and documentation complies with medical safety and EMC/EMI standards
- Manage the research and prototyping of new and innovative solutions
- Manage feasibility studies of the design to determine if product is capable of functioning as intended
- Lead board and system bring-up activities and work with other engineers to insure product functionality
- Work effectively in cross-functional teams consisting of Clinical, Design & Usability, Marketing, R&D, Quality, and Regulatory
- Guide and mentor less experienced team members to foster growth
- Ensure design documentation creation throughout all phases of design control
- Ensure compliance with Canon quality policies, procedures, and practices
- Provide documentation of inventions for patent applications; review alternative technology as it relates to the invention
- Identify and retire technical risk
- Report progress regularly to upper management
- Define and author electrical requirements and architecture to meet medical system requirements
- Define and author board level specifications
- Generate circuit models and simulations
- Generate electrical system power analyses
- Complete component de-rating analyses
- Create cable diagrams for electrical systems
- Create electrical schematics and bill of materials
- Define initial board layout designs
- Define technical tasks and effort for integrated electronic modules designs with circuit layout in tightly constrained spaces
- Develop board level tests and test procedures to ensure that the product meets electrical and engineering specifications
- Define technical tasks to achieve design realization
- Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE); MSEE preferred
- 10+ years of hands-on design experience in analog and/or digital design with excellent knowledge of low-noise techniques for circuit design and board layout
- Must have experience integrating, testing, and verifying complex electrical systems
- Must have working experience with various tools including analog simulation, schematic capture, and PCB layout
- Experience with power supply and power distribution architecture and design
- Experience working with various optical sensors and detectors (eg PMTs, photodiodes) a plus
- Experience with high-wattage power supplies and motor drives a plus
- Strong understanding of IEC 60601-1, 3.1 edition Safety and Essential performance and IEC60601-1-2 4th edition Electromagnetic disturbances
- Have the flexibility and curiosity to develop new skillsets, as the need requires
- Ability to clearly communicate complex subjects or issues to colleagues at all levels
- This is a lead role and requires someone who is well motivated and a team player
About our Company - Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions to the United States and to Latin America and the Caribbean markets. With approximately $36 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents granted in 2018† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies in 2019. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based service and support for all of the products it distributes in the United States. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. In 2014, the Canon Americas Headquarters secured LEED® Gold certification, a recognition for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of high-performance green buildings. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA. For media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
† Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.
We are an EEO/AA employer. Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
If you are not reviewing this job posting on our Careers’ site https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/careers, we cannot guarantee the validity of this posting. For a list of our current postings, please visit us at https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/careers.
#CUSA #LI-AV1 #CBAV #DICE
Share on your newsfeed
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.