IS Support Specialist
About The Role:
The IS Support Specialist is part of our Information Systems team, which oversees and manages VentureWell’s IT infrastructure and systems. This position focuses primarily on providing technical end user support and training for VentureWell’s distributed staff; managing VentureWell’s software inventory; and providing on-site technical support in the Cambridge, Massachusetts office as needed. This is a great role for someone who is outgoing, has a passion for technology, and is driven to provide a phenomenal in-person and virtual customer experience for our rapidly growing group of staff. This position reports to the Manager, IS Operations and Security. We are ready to welcome a new member onto our team as soon as possible.
- Serves as initial point of contact for incoming end user support and troubleshooting requests (via our ticketing system as well as through email and Slack) from VentureWell staff and external constituents
- Helps administer and troubleshoot issues with core apps (Google Workspace, Slack, Zoom, Okta, LastPass); Escalates and/or delegates issues to other IS team members as appropriate.
- Leads in-person technical troubleshooting and support for staff in VentureWell’s Cambridge, MA office during planned events, staff retreats, and workshops.
- Builds and maintains relationships and lines of communication with staff throughout the organization, checking in regularly to ensure people have what they need and that technology is performing as it should
- Creates and conducts onboarding for new staff related to macOS and Apple hardware, Google Workspace, Slack, Zoom; may contribute to onboarding for new staff related to other SaaS products in use by staff at VentureWell in collaboration with other IS team members
- Creates training material for VentureWell software and hardware, and facilitates training for VentureWell technology on a 1 to 1 or group basis.
- Develops and updates system and user documentation
- Provisions, audits, and maintains licenses for core software, working with vendors and internal staff to manage licenses and renewals
- Purchases, inventories, and manages IT hardware; ensures sufficient stock is maintained to keep up with deployment of new devices for new and existing staff and completes expense reports accordingly
- Coordinates special projects in cooperation with the IS team; researches and recommends products and services related to business needs
What You Bring:
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly, analyzing both successes and failures to continually improve systems and processes
- Must be a capable self-starter who takes initiative, can work without supervision, and manages projects independently as needed
- Ability to build rapport and effectively communicate to resolve technical problems with a wide variety of people, both internal and external, possessing varying levels of technical confidence and capabilities
- Experience creating and facilitating technology focused trainings
- Experience supporting Google Workspace, Slack, and Zoom required
- 3-4 years experience with macOS and Apple hardware provisioning and troubleshooting
- Experience with information system security principles, networking, and general software management best practices
- Adept at providing proactive needs assessment and supporting staff remotely
- High degree of professionalism and confidentiality with sensitive data
- Network+, Security+ certifications are beneficial but not required
Across the Board, VentureWell Staff:
- Are able to succeed and thrive in an environment with competing and changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Have track records of and ability to build solid collaborative working relationships, and are proven team players who enjoy a “customer service” orientation to collaboration
- Are committed to embedding equity in our internal practices and culture and in our programs in order to live and achieve our mission
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity
- Are curious and committed to issues of environmental sustainability
- Are self-starters with excellent attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Are active learners who independently learn new tools and work processes quickly
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including:
- a salary range of $75,000 to $90,000 commensurate with experience and internal equity
- 403 (b) with 200% match up to a maximum contribution from VentureWell of 10% when the employee puts it 5% (eligible after one year of service for the match)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- $1,000 home office stipend upon hire
- A true focus on work-life balance with work weeks that reflect that
- It’s our aim for our employees in this position to not work more than a 35-40 hour workweek
- 20 paid vacation days PLUS the week off between Christmas and New Years
- 12 paid wellness days
What We Offer:
- A culture where people work intentionally and collaboratively in pursuit of our mission
- Values we believe in
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At VentureWell, it is our mission to cultivate an ecosystem of diverse entrepreneurs and innovators who are developing science-and technology-based solutions to the world’s most intractable challenges in areas like biotechnology, healthcare, and sustainable energy and materials. We aim to create spaces that increase access to education, employment, and entrepreneurial pathways for historically marginalized communities.
We foster collaboration among the best minds from research labs, classrooms, and beyond to advance innovation and entrepreneurship education and to provide unique opportunities for STEM students and researchers to fully realize their potential. The innovations developed by the 5,000+ early-stage innovator teams that have benefitted from our funding and training have reached millions of people across the globe and the resulting 2,900+ ventures have raised over $3.8+ billion in investment funding.
We aspire to create an inclusive organization where each unique member of our community can learn, develop, and flourish. We know that diverse views and ideas lead to better work, which is why we celebrate our differences, value intentional inclusion, and center equity. We are committed to hiring talented, unique team members with diverse perspectives and experiences who can be their authentic selves at work. We want and encourage people across a multitude of backgrounds to apply and join us on this journey.
Our teams are open to new ideas, embrace change, and are eager to make an impact on the world. Meet the VentureWell team.